This is a great 18 mile ride that explores downtown Grinnell on the way to Rock Creek State Park. It is a perfect ride to begin with a morning coffee at Saints Rest and then return to the Prairie Canary for lunch.
If you are more of an adventurer, break out the bags and camping gear for an overnighter at Rock Creek State Park. For camping, take the first left into Rock Creek State Park. If you are just riding to the beach, cross the causeway and take the second left.
The check-in for this ride is at Iowa Bicycle Coalition member Bikes To You bike shop in Grinnell.
- There is plenty of free parking in downtown Grinnell.
- Grinnell is great for riding – low traffic and no hills.
- If time allows, visit the beautiful Grinnell College campus.
- Check out the Louis Sullivan Jewel Box Bank for amazing architecture.
- Wild flowers are in bloom all along this route during late summer.
- There are one or two climbs along this route.
- Most of the route outside of Grinnell is paved trail.
- Do keep an eye out for lateral cracks on the trail.
- Some light gravel will be present at intersection crossings.
- You can ride this easily with a road bike or hybrid bicycle
- There are some hills, so take your time if you are a novice.
- Find water at the camping area of Rock Creek State Park.