The first Amana Colonies Gravel Bike Routes are ready for use. The routes each begin in Middle Amana, separating into Route A going to High Amana and Route B going to West Amana. While on the gravel routes, the riders will experience historical points of interest in Middle, High and West Amana.
The Amana Colonies are a set of seven historic villages spaced approximately 7 miles appart. In latter days, the villages were communal with families living, working, and eating together. In 1932, the Amana Society chose to abandoned the communal ways. It has become a top tourism attraction in Iowa with over 1 million visitors per year.
- Park at the Amana Colonies Golf Club
- Route starts on pavement, but turns to gravel at 126th Street
- Travel to High Amana through native timber
- Visit the historic High Amana General Store
- Finish your ride with a beer at Millstream Brewing
- This ride is on gravel, so bring an appropriate bicycle
- A longer Route B is available from Route A
- Beverage service is available at the Golf Club at the start of ride